Rock and Chips is full of connections with Only Fools and Horses. Not surprising when you consider its all created from the mind of script writer John Sullivan
I don’t know about you , but it feels like John Sullivan is subtely drip feeding us the banquet of gems that he has in his mind that provided us the catchphrases and characteristics we’ve loved for decades with Fools and Horses.
So what subtleties did you spot in Rock and Chips latest episode?
- Did you notice the spellimg memphis was with two F’s – In Grandads funeral episode “Strained Relations” Del still hasn’t learned thart of of spelling as the card on the flowers says “In our foughts”
- Well spotted from Steve G as he picked out Del getting the 4 gold rings from Abdul’s Dad (Abdul was in To Hull and Back)
- We also saw Del become a personality, real love for his mum, the start of his French sayings , the twitch of the head, start of market trading etc.
- What about the ‘lovely jubbly’ orange sign outside the cafe. – Surely this was there to imply Del would of taken this into his head for use later on as the infamous catch phrase.
- Another obvious connection was the gradual career direction Slater takes towards the police force. (Seen in To Hull and Back and Wanted episodes)
- John L mentioned he spotted Del’s distrust of receipts of any kind may of started in this episode – as in the 1996 episode Time on our Hands this is a large part of the story line